Sunday 9 January 2011

Resolution Road

One of life's eternal dilemmas: can you be a food obsessive and not be a lard-arse? Nigella seems to manage it through channelling all weight gain into her breasts. Being a mere mortal, I find I'm just huge all over. I could go on for hours about the reasons why I'm fat, but I'd only bore you and myself. Suffice to say, I could never stop loving food. I love the process of cooking at least as much as eating, and I love other people eating and loving my food the very best of all.

So this year's goal: to continue enjoying good food, but to bring my proportions down to a more healthy and manageable level. It's a goal I've set numerous times for myself in the past, but I am hoping that recording it here will provide sufficient motivation, as well as the potential for widespread public humiliation if I wimp out.

A source of inspiration is the new Weightwatcher's Points Plus plan. I like Weightwatchers - it's really just re-training yourself to eat more healthily. The new plan is particularly good because it contains an allotment of points each week for unexpected events or a special treat: a drink in the pub with friends, a meal in a restaurant, or a good, home-cooked Sunday lunch - with pudding, of course. You can enjoy these things without feeling you've "blown your diet" and gone off course. This is something that has nobbled me numerous times in the past, so I'm greatly encouraged by the idea of being able to maintain motivation while still enjoying nice things to cook and eat. I'm doing the plan on-line rather than going to meetings, so I will post my weigh-ins, along with any new recipes (some nice, and some plain naughty) here. I'm hoping to lose a whopping 6 stone this year, so we're talking about a marathon rather than a sprint.

So thanks in advance for any words of support or encouragement - and if anyone fancies losing a bit of weight and would like to be my weight loss buddy, let me know - we can spur each other on!

2 comments:

  1. 38 kilos?! Really? But there'll be nothing of you left! I want to lose 20 kg, but I haven't yet decided if I want to go back to WW or start seeing a nutritionist.
    But I'll keep checking back on your blog for inspiration! And maybe I'll sign on as a weight loss buddy at some point.
    At any rate, I wish you success and lots of yummy meals and fun experimenting with recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tanya! If only it were true that there will be nothing left...sadly, I could make another whole person and still be a fairly healthy weight. I'm not expecting to be slender, but I don't want to run screaming in horror when I catch sight of myself in a shop window any more.

    Feel free to hop on board for a while at any point.

    ReplyDelete